Sunday, October 5, 2008

Eggs for sale (uterus and placenta not included)

Well, my dear friend (and by dear friend, I mean soul sister) informed me the other day that she was in the process of selling her eggs (and by eggs, I mean ovums, not farm fresh).

Since this information was passed on to me, I have actually been toiling over what that means in the big picture and what the ramifications would be more than I ever thought I would. Now if you knew this friend, you would know that she is just the type of person to give of herself, although not usually in such a literal manner. You know...the kind of girl who is there for you day or night, laughs with you, cries with you, votes in every election, always returns her grocery carts to those corrals, tips at least 15% even if the service was terrible. To give you one specific example, this is the same friend who just several weeks ago, spent at least 8 minutes trying to rescue drowning bees from my pool. Unfortunately, I was quicker at doing the drowning...

Therefore when she began telling me that she had found a way to help a family and also supplement her continuing education, I knew I would be proud and worried simultaneously.
Before I give any more details or opinions, I would be very interested to hear what those who read this blog feel and think about this. To narrow down your thoughts, here are my main questions that I have been pouring over.

1- how much are ones' eggs worth?
2- should it be anonymous?
3- if the procedure works, is that the donor's baby out there?
4- is it ok if the fertilized eggs that aren't used are frozen for use later?
5- wwjd- not to be corny, but how does this tie in with your faith?
6- would you do this?
7- if you have children, would your thoughts be different before you had them?
8- is it the same as sperm donation?

Thank you for your thoughts and opinions as I am really trying to work this out. After I receive some comments, I will finish the blog on my thoughts and what was agreed upon in the actual arrangement (assuming I have permission from said friend).

2 comments:

sarah said...

You are not in trouble. Thank you for asking the kinds of questions I didn't really think about. My answer is if you have something you are not using and another person can put it to good use then you give it to them with the hope that they will cherish it a little more because they had to work harder for it. Jesus gave us his entire body, I'm just giving a small piece. You have two beautiful girls and I have a wonderful nephew I just want share with another family the same joy those babies have given me every time I see them. I love you, now stop talking about me! JK

katie said...

um, youre just going to have to call me on this one...im not up for leaving a chapter on your blog...suffice it to say, i feel differently now that im a mom. experiencing this love,this joy this tremendous gift makes me reluctant to judge anyone just trying to experience the same thing or those trying to help them.